The earth is our home, and that’s why we are responsible for everything and everyone in it. It is our duty to keep it clean and safe
for the next generations to inhabit it. The problem is we are un-aware that we’re harming our own habitat, so here are eye-opening facts about the environment.
1. Leaving the water running (while brushing your teeth or wudhu) can waste four gallons of water per minute.
2. 34,000 children die daily from poverty and hunger.
3. An average home creates more pollution than an average car does.
4. Natural gas doesn’t have an odor. Gas companies decided to add a chemical that smells similar to rotten eggs to detect a gas leak.
5. When you leave your appliances plugged in after use, energy is being wasted even if they’re switched off.
6. By turning down your AC thermostat one degree, fuel consumption is cut by almost 10%.
7. Recycling 1 ton of paper saves 17 trees, 2 barrels of oil , 4,100 kilowatts of energy (enough power for the average home for 6 months), 3.2 cubic yards of landfill space, and 60 pounds of air pollution.
8. Americans (5% of the nation) throw away enough aluminum to rebuild an entire commercial fleet of airplanes every 3 months (source: Environmental Defense Fund)
9. Half of the world’s tropical forests have been already lost.
10. Despite all of the damage we have caused the environment most of it is reversible. We can restore habitats; clean rivers; renovate buildings; replenish the soil, replant forests. However, these activities do not relieve the worst symptoms of the damage (global warming).
– By May Rostom